Are you one of those persons affected by the winter weather? Do you notice that you are just not as happy as in summer? Or even suffer from winter depression, seasonal affective disorder (SAD)?
According to NHS, most scientists believe that the problem is related to the way the body responds to daylight. Alison Kerry, from the mental health charity MIND, says: “With SAD, one theory is that light entering the eye causes changes in hormone levels in the body.”
- Your biological clock (circadian rhythm) The reduced level of sunlight in fall and winter may cause winter-onset SAD. This decrease in sunlight may disrupt the body’s internal clock and lead to feelings of depression.
- Serotonin levels A drop in serotonin, a brain chemical (neurotransmitter) that affects mood, might play a role in SAD. Reduced sunlight can cause a drop in serotonin that may trigger depression.
- Melatonin levels The change in season can disrupt the balance of the body’s level of melatonin, which plays a role in sleep patterns and mood.
Make use of the grey season and start having fun!
A great time to install new positive habits and boost your system! We at Yaduma Coaching use 4 pillars to focus on, in order to establish new habits and achieve a goal such as become more balanced and healthy:
- Food: notice the psychological effect on choice versus deprivation: Choose and enjoy mostly
seasonal, local, legumes and fresh vegetables and fruits, cut down white flour, sugar products and meat to a minimum, avoid stimulants such as coffee, nicotine, alcohol.
- Relaxation: How do you relax? Do you relax or just distract? Deep relaxation is necessary for body and mind to recharge and stay healthy. Relaxation is enjoyable! Try Breathing exercises, Progressive Muscle Relaxation (Jacobsen), ChiKung, Meditation or Walking Meditation to clear mind and relax body. The ability to relax works like growing a muscle: train, train, train and keep practicing!
- Physical Activity boosts serotonin levels: especially if you have a sedentary lifestyle, this is your season to become more active: Get in 30-60 minutes of aerobic exercise daily, outdoors in daylight. You can walk, run, hike, bicycle, stroll briskly, rollerblade, ski, snowshoe, go grocery shopping without using the car, anything that makes you move your body outdoors and that you enjoy. Don’t enjoy anything? Time to change the chip and reset your mind! The sun does not have to shine. All you need is the right empowering attitude and equipment. Additionally use stairs instead of elevator to boost circulation and workout out your leg muscles. And feel great about every step you take!
- Mental Activity: This winter, learn to master your mind! This is a longterm investment in your quality on life. Every day do a 10 minute worry-fasting: be very attentive to your thought processes. Whenever a negative thought comes, let it go immediately. NO negative thoughts during 10 minutes. Work your way up to a whole hour! For people suffering from winter depression meditation is not recommended. Choose Walking Meditation instead: go outdoors, focus on your breathing and body posture. Whenever you notice your mind drifting away, come back to breathing. Breathing has tremendous effects on psyche and physiology. Learning to breath will help you be more patient, compassionate and good to yourself.You will notice a huge change in your overall wellbeing after a few weeks only.
If you need support, get help! Contact for a free consultation!
At Yaduma Coaching we have developed 6-Week-Program to support clients to install new positive habits for better Quality of Life, Stress-, Pain- or Weight-Management.
- Initial Coaching session to realize your current state, set s.m.a.r.t. goals (specific, measurable, achievable, results-focused, and time- bound), and develop a personal strategy, with steps that suit you, you believe in and enjoy, covering each pillar.
- Biweekly check-in calls by phone or Skype to track your success. This is the most important and fun part! You will learn to identify excuses (self-sabotage) and redefine problems as chances. You will learn to develop your own problem-solving strategies, an important skill you can apply for all aspects of life. Plus: you can change appointments and contact us anytime, if you need instant support.
- Week 6: Session to define your personal goals for your way of life from now on.
- Follow-up check-in’s on demand
You don’t even need to meet up for Personal Coaching,
Skype or Phone Coaching is available as well.
Yaduma Coaching Enjoy the Path